Tuesday, September 3, 2019

under the sea baby quilt - baby m

in the thick of the summer, while recital time and summer camp were in full swing, i got asked if i would help host a baby shower for a good friend of mine.  of course, i take pride in my baby shower skills and said yes, and at the very same time decided i would also make a quilt.  because what good is a baby shower if you don't have a quilt to show off as well?  ITS NO GOOD.  sure, sure... the shower could have easily been my only gift to her, but when i have the opportunity to get crafty with a purpose and get my sewjo underway, i'll take it!  once we decided on a beachy theme, followed by stumbling across this fabric, i knew i had to make a plan.
i needed the quilt to be cute, but also not be overly girly, as this shower was for a baby boy.  i found this great pattern in a quilt almanac magazine my grandma sent my way and after a few tweaks with fabric placement and such, things were quickly under way!
i actually wasn't planning to long arm this quilt, but when it got down to it, i had no desire to sweat myself to death while shoving it through my machine.  instead, i scheduled time at laqca and made it happen one afternoon after summer camp.  i did at least give myself a week ahead of when it was the shower in order to get it quilted, bound and photographed.
the seashell print was a perfect tie in with the occasional pops of color of the seahorses as well as cute colorful fish.  and i just think that seahorse fabric in itself is adorable as ever!  how cute would that be as a little toddler outfit?
overall, this quilt came together super quickly, and most of the time was just sppent trimming up blocks.  when she opened the quilt at the shower, she gasped and kept saying "is this one of yours? is this one of yours?"  of course it was!
i was also basically told by a guest that i looked too young to be quilting, so there's that too.  ha!  you've seen nothing yet, lady!
i ALMOST stated that this post means that i am caught up on blogging... but then i remembered the quilt on my floor that i just finished binding the other weekend as well as the one sitting waiting to be bound STILL. i'm telling you, it is such a habit of putting projects for myself on the back burner.  maybe my next maker monday i will be back on track and ready to rock and roll.  christmas quilt time?  maybe... 
pattern information: teddy friends - from 2011 quilt almanac magazine
quilt count: 123

1 comment:

  1. I love your quilt. The colors are so cool and summery (if that is a word!) The quilting is really awesome, I only do straight line quilting, but maybe some day I'll try something new, lol.

    ReplyDelete